Windows ME Uninstall
Brandon Wood
2004-10-11 16:21:08 UTC
I am trying to get Windows ME off of my cousins computer
and I can't:

I have tried to boot to a dos prompt and bios won't let
me get to it.

The floppy drive doesn't work to make a startup disk.

When I go to Add/Remove Programs to Uninstall Windows
Millenium Edition, the option to uninstall ME is not
there. I'm stuck. I can't get into dos to just "format
c:". Can anyone else give me some options on what to do
to get rid of this OS?
Mike M
2004-10-11 17:05:08 UTC
You can only uninstall Win Me if it was installed as an upgrade over a
previous operating system and you chose to retain that previous operating
system's files and have not subsequently deleted. Since you have no
Uninstall Win Me option in Add/Remove Programs at least one of those
conditions is not true.

The only way to boot to DOS is by using a bootable floppy and booting from
that floppy. If you are for some reason unable to make a boot floppy
using Add/Remove Programs | Startup Disk you can download the image of a
Win Me boot floppy from www.bootdisk.com and run that image to transfer it
to a floppy however if your floppy drive does not work you need to fix
this. Floppy drives are cheap being less than US$10 so I would recommend
you purchase a new drive.

You don't say why you want to uninstall Win Me but remember that many of
the problems you are likely to encounter when using your computer will
happen regardless of the operating system you are using. You might find
it easier to try and fix those problems by posting details so that others
can help you than replace your operating system.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP [2001-2005]